9/17/2010

recent books

















The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
“On the eve of the first world war, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman had promised to look after her - but she has disappeared without a trace.” This book reminded me of The Secret Garden which I loved as a child. Part mystery, part fairy tale - this was a light, entertaining, if at times predictable, summer read. http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Kate-Morton/44584540


How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly by Connie May Fowler
Free Book Friday's interview with the author:
"I created a character who, when the books opens, is in the throes of experiencing a major life crisis. And though her anemic marriage is the catalyst for the crisis, Clarissa is surely the sum of all that has come before her. But the novel needed to unfold in a twenty-four hour period. So I had to find economical ways of infusing her present crisis with reverberations from her past. In terms of how was it easier, I think because I had written about ghosts and spirits in other books, the ghosts in How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly were a joy to write. However, writing the scenes in which I reveal how they died was emotionally wrenching. I cried for days."