10/25/2012

artist Colin Chillag










 



































































Phoenix-based painter Colin Chillag’s portraits are a mix of realism and abstraction. Focusing mainly on the face of a person, he paints incredible detail. The paintings are often left unfinished. He wants viewers to be able to see his artistic process; the way in which he goes about recreating an image. He finds his images from snapshots he buys from discarded family albums of strangers. 
“My intention is to make this process open and available to viewers at every level, I allow the pencil sketch to remain visible as part of this process, and I even go so far as to incorporate the palette into some of the paintings.” 
“So, while I engage in a highly illusionistic form of painting,” he added, “I have no real desire to complete the illusion by finishing a painting.”