11/16/2012

Mister Finch











































































Mister Finch is a UK textile artist who creates unique stuffed sculptures of humanized animals using scraps of thread, fabric, paper and embroideries. The subject matter of his work is inspired by nature. He's fascinated by flowers, insects, owls and birds, as well as their extraordinary nests and behavior.

His artist's statement: "Most of my pieces use recycled materials, not only as an ethical statement, but I believe they add more authenticity and charm. A story sewn in, woven in. Velvet curtains from an old hotel, a threadbare wedding dress and a vintage apron become birds and beasts, looking for new owners and adventures to have."

And from his website:  "I get very obsessed with creating certain animals and insects and often make many and then don't return to them for sometimes weeks. I recognise this behaviour now and whilst I'm in a particular zone I try to be as productive as possible. So whilst drinking endless cups of tea and keeping my eye on two naughty cats I listen to those Cd's of just the sound of rain, I love them regardless of the weather! They allow me to switch off and I spends hours sat at my table stitching fabrics into the creatures that fill my rainy fairytale mind. When not in my studio I'm on the constant lookout for fabrics and textiles that I can use in my work. I love the hunt and its especially great to find vintage pieces to use. At the end of the day or night I tidy my table up put all my tools away and look for the cats who are always hiding in between the books and jars and close the door until the next day."